Flash Flood Risk Alert
Take the following precautions:
- Have custodians check drains, grates and basins to ensure they are free of leaves and debris.
- Check to see if sump pumps are working.
- Secure outdoor objects that would blow away or cause damage to people or property.
- Remove dead or rotting branches that could fall and cause injury or damage.
- Shutter windows. If shutters are not available, close window blinds, shades or curtains.
- Unplug appliances and other electrical items such as computers and turn off air conditioners. Power surges from lightning can cause serious damage.
- Use a battery-operated NOAA Weather Radio for updates from local officials.
If outdoors, avoid the following:
- Natural lightning rods, such as tall, isolated trees in an open area.
- Hilltops, open fields, the beach, or a boat on the water.
- Isolated sheds or other small structures in open areas.
- Anything metal, such as lawn mowers, motorcycles, golf clubs and bicycles.
After the storm, be sure to inspect basements and roofs for leaks and flooding. In addition, inspect the grounds for weak or damaged tree limbs and have these removed immediately.